Vilas Distinguished Professor
1415 Engineering Drive
Madison, WI 53706
Ph: (608) 265-4481
Fax: (608) 262-5199
Civil and Environmental Engineering
Modified Asphalt Research Center
• Dr. Bahia joined the faculty at the University of Wisconsin (Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering) in 1996 after serving at the Asphalt Institute and Penn State University for several years.
• He teaches and conducts research on pavement materials and design, particularly on modified asphalts and asphalt mixtures.
• He has established the Modified Asphalt Research Center (MARC) at UW and serves as its Director since 2009. (UWMARC.org)
• He served as a researcher for the SHRP from 1989 to 1993 and was the Principal Investigator for the NCHRP 9-10 project on modified asphalts, and the NCHRP 9-45 project on test methods and specification criteria for mineral fillers used in HMA. He continues to serve as a Principal or co-Principal investigator for Wisconsin DOT projects, projects with FHWA, and projects funded by the private industry.
• He is one of the Principal Investigators of the Asphalt Research Consortium (ARC) Project.
• He has published more than 100 peer reviewed publications in his field and a large number of technical reports to various public and private agencies.
• He is named in 3 Patents of testing devices for bituminous materials.
• He has served as an elected member of TRB committees AFK20, AFK30, and AFK40 for 9 years for each committee. He is a member of AAPT, CTAA, ASCE, ASTM, and ASEE.
• He has served as a member of the Asphalt Expert Task Group (ETG) of the Federal Highway Administration of the USA from 1993 until 2006.
• He has served as a consultant to many companies and agencies in the United States, South America, the Middle East, and Africa.
• He is one of the Honorary Editors in Chief of the International Journal of Road Materials and Pavement Design.
• He has served as the Technical Director of the Wisconsin Highway Research Program from 2004 until 2012.