John S. Nelson
2205 Engineering Hall
1415 Engineering Drive
Madison, WI 53706
Ph: (608) 843-5976
Fax: (608) 262-5199
Civil and Environmental Engineering
Mr. Nelson is an adjunct professor. His duties include teaching, research, advising, and mentoring, such as:
- Instructor, Technical Project Management Course, Masters of Engineering Managment On-Line Program
- Instructor, Construction Engineering Management (CEE498)
- Instructor and Mentor, Global AEC Design Course, Stanford University
- Lectures/Instruction/Mentoring in a variety of CoE, School of Business, and Nelson Institute Classes
- Research, publication and conference presentations on sustainability in buildings
- Research, publication and conference presentations on lean project delivery (in conjunction with Professor Awad Hanna)
- Graduate student advising and thesis committees
- Student mentoring
Mr Nelson also serves as Chief Technical Officer of Fitzgerald Asset Management.
Mr. Nelson's scholarly interests involve Sustainability and Project Management. Specific foci include the intersection of climate and energy, human's transactions with nature via sustainable infrastructure, and the tension between geometric and living order in project managment.
During his tenure in industry, he served as Project Engineer, Department Head, Project Manager, Vice President and Chief Executive Officer at Affiliated Engineers. His background includes design, applications and research experience with dynamic building systems, along with business and project management.